This participant agreement is between You, referred in this document as “You/Your” or “Participant” and the Personal Transformation Institute, referred to as “PTI” in this document and relates to your participation in EMDR Training(“Training”), which may include training or consultation. PTI will coordinate all trainings, scheduling and registration through the PTI website. You agree that by clicking acceptance of these terms and conditions on the registration page, You accept all the following terms, conditions and eligibility requirements as set forth herein, including a knowing and voluntary Waiver, Release and Discharge of any and all liability related to, or arising from, or in any way connected with Your participation in the Training. You further acknowledge and accept this Agreement is binding and that You read and agreed to the following terms and conditions contained in this Agreement: The boundaries of clinical applications for EMDR other than PTSD have not yet been confirmed by controlled research. Cautions regarding EMDR’s clinical applications outside of PSTD treatment are based primarily on anecdotal reports by clinicians.
You must meet minimum eligibility criteria set by EMDRIA to participate in the Training. If you are one of the qualifying exemptions, you must contact us in advance for approval prior to registering. If you register and we determine you do not meet eligibility requirements you will be removed from the class and a $150 administration fee will be deducted from your refund.
A. Licensure and Qualifying Education: If you are in the United States and fully licensed through Your state or government credentialing board in one of the following fields (and will provide proper documentation prior to registration if necessary): Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC), Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT), Licensed Psychologist (LP), Licensed Psychiatrist or Licensed Psychiatric Nurse. Starting in 2020 EMDRIA will not permit Limited Licensed Psychologists (LLP) to be certified, however, they may receive the EMDR training. If you are outside of the U.S, you must check with the EMDRIA organization in your country to find out if there is reciprocity with EMDRIA USA and assure that you qualify.
B: Qualifying Exemptions must get approval prior to registering:
- State Certified Counselors, Degree/License in School Counseling, Art Therapy, Music Therapy, Christian/Pastoral/Community Counseling, Drug/Alcohol Counseling, Forensic Psychology may qualify but will need to inquire about an exception prior to registration.
- Pre-Licensed Mental Clinicians who are actively pursuing a mental health license through their state board (or province) while working under a licensed supervisor. Some of these license types may include associate, intern, limited, provisional, temporary and pre-license.
- .Qualifying Pre-Licensed Mental Health Clinicians must have a Master’s Degree in the mental health field (Counseling, Marriage Family Therapy, Psychology, Psychotherapy, Psychiatry, Social Work) or related mental health discipline and must be actively pursuing a full license through their state board (or province) while working under a licensed supervisor.
- Graduate Students Qualifying graduate students must be enrolled in a Master’s or Doctoral program in the mental health field (Counseling, Marriage Family Therapy, Psychology, Psychotherapy, Psychiatry, Psychiatric Nursing, Social Work) or related mental health discipline. Students must have completed their core graduate academic coursework and must be in the practicum/internship portion of their graduate program. First year graduate students are not eligible. Graduate students must be on a licensing track and working under the supervision of a fully licensed mental health clinician. Graduate students who would like to take an EMDR Training will need to submit certain documentation (graduate transcript, practicum or internship details, and a letter from their supervisor which includes the supervisor’s license information and number) in order to verify their eligibility. Students do not need to provide EMDRIA with any documentation unless specifically asked to do so by EMDRIA staff. Any documentation that needs to be submitted would go directly to the training provider either prior to or during the training registration process.
- If you believe you meet one of the exemptions, please email us the following:
Training City/Date you wish to attend:
You may include any other information you believe we would need to determine eligibility. We may ask for further information or documentation as needed.
Please note: PTI has full discretion to accept, deny or determine eligibility
1. All cancelations must be requested in writing from the email used to register and will be confirmed in writing by PTI.
2. Any cancelation request made more than 30 days prior to the training will receive a refund minus $150 administration fee. 30 days or less from the training no refunds will be made and You may transfer to a different training location, if space allows for a $150 administration fee. This includes cancelations due to weather, related issues, or any other reason. Note: There will be no refunds, under any circumstances, for withdrawals after the beginning of the training program.
3. Once the training starts there are no transfers or refunds allowed. In the case of a bonified emergency, illness or other issue, PTI may allow the training dates to be made up, at the sole discretion of PTI for $250 per day missed. Any partial day missed will be counted toward a full day. Missing more than one day or partial day could result in immediate dismissal from the training program and forfeiture of all tuition paid. If you choose to begin training with the online training that is considered the beginning of your training.
4. If a participant does not attend the training there will be no refunds, transfers or make-up allowed.
5. If You are more than 15 minutes late or leave more than 15 minutes prior to the end of the training, PTI may allow you, at their sole discretion to make up the “consultation” portion of what you missed with an additional fee. A minimum of 30 minutes will be required to be purchased to make up the time.
6. There is no partial credit given for any portion of the training completed if You do not complete the entire training.
7. PTI is not responsible for any damages or expenses, including travel or otherwise due to any cancelations.
8. If PTI cancels the training you will be notified and issued a refund. PTI has the right to reschedule the training, if that happens PTI will waive the transfer fee to go to a different training.
2a. Grievance Policy
PTI is fully committed to conducting all activities in strict conformance and compliance with all legal and ethical responsibilities in regard to its promotional activities, program content and in the treatment of program participants. The monitoring and assessment of compliance with these standards will be the responsibility of the CE Program Administrator.
While PTI goes to great lengths to assure fair treatment for all participants and attempts to anticipate problems, there will be occasional issues which may require intervention and/or action on the part of the Personal Transformation Institute. This procedural description serves as a guideline for handling such grievances.
When a participant files a grievance with PTI and expects a response and/or action, the following actions must be taken:
All grievances must be submitted in writing on the “Grievance Complaint Form” with the relevant supporting documentation to:
Personal Transformation Institute
1205 Meadowbrook Ave
Ann Arbor MI 48103
Please be sure to sign required Releases at the end of the “Grievance Complaint Form“. Your complaint cannot be processed without your signature as it allows us to properly handle the complaint.
We will make all efforts to adequately address and resolve any properly filed grievances, including but not limited to referring ethics complaints to the appropriate state licensing board for possible further investigation. However, we cannot and do not guarantee any specific action or result and will address each complaint on a case by case basis in our reasonable discretion.
The investigation process is a paper process. We do not conduct interviews in person or via the phone. It is important that any information submitted be relevant to your specific complaint. Please send us copies, not originals, of any documents. Please do not include pictures.
PTI does not accept anonymous complaints. Filing a complaint on behalf of another person is also not permitted.
Your seat, registration, fee or credits are not transferrable.
4. Code of Conduct
You are expected to follow your professional code of conduct as well as the EMDRIA code of conduct. PTI reserves the right to request that you leave the training if You violate this code of conduct or do not act in a professional ethical manner or are disruptive to the training in any way, as determined by PTI at the sole discretion of PTI. If you are asked to leave your registration will be canceled and you will not receive any credit or refunds.
You agree to the following:
1. To conduct yourself in a professional and ethical manner at all times.
2. To not engage in any other therapy/healing methods during the practice portion of the training.
3. To not be disruptive to the training in any way
4. To not solicit any participants of the training.
5. To not record any portion of the training.
6. To maintain confidentiality about any other participants’ information at the training.
7. To contribute to the supportive, safe environment PTI strives to create including sensitivity and tolerance toward cultural issues, sexual identity, religion, race, nationality, disability or gender identification and you agree to not engage in discriminatory behavior at any time.
All information about any participant at the Training is confidential. Do not discuss the information you gain in the practice sessions with anyone in or out of the Training, during the Training, or after the Training ends. PTI cannot guarantee the confidentiality of any information disclosed by you in before, during, or after the Training. You agree to hold PTI harmless and agree that PTI has no liability for claims regarding personal information you have disclosed.
6. Participant Expectations
1. You agree and acknowledge that this is a professional training which includes practice sessions in which real material may be accessed. The practice portion of the training is an important experiential aspect of learning that is half of the training. You also agree that this practice is not Therapy and you have a choice about the depth of your participation at all times. The nature of the EMDR therapy is robust and may activate unprocessed personal material and You agree that you are responsible for your own self-care and self-soothing. You are responsible for your own personal therapy needs and obtaining that therapy if needed outside of the Training.
2. You acknowledge that the lecture portion of all PTI trainings are recorded and may be used for the purposes of teaching about EMDR. You acknowledge that PTI may use this recording in a on-line library or for any teaching purposes. Any questions or statements made by you in the lecture portion of the training may be used by PTI in any manner including on the PTI website. You agree to inform the PTI training staff if you wish to not be recorded in the lecture portion.
3. You agree and acknowledge that if you volunteer for a demonstration in front of the class, You have a choice about the depth of your participation at all times and You agree to ask to stop if you wish at any time. You agree that you are responsible for choosing the material you wish to access and you and/ or the trainer has the right to stop the demonstration for any reason at any time.
4. You acknowledge and accept that the EMDR processing may continue after the training ends and You are solely responsible for obtaining needed assistant after leaving the training. You may have memories, dreams, flashbacks, or other nervous system activation during the training and after you leave.
5. You agree that touch may be a part of the Training but will always be optional and with your permission. This touch will never be of a sexual nature and you agree to contact the Trainer or assistants if you feel unsafe in any way.
6. The book EMDR, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing, Basic Principles, Protocols and Procedures, 3rd Edition. by Francine Shapiro. Is required reading for all participants. Buy Now
7. Participants will be provided a PDF of the course manual and all training materials. We are attempting to be a completely green company. Participants agree to not share or distribute the PTI material without written consent of PTI. We do not provide paper manuals or practice sheets. Participants are encouraged to bring a digital device to view training materials.
8. Due to many people having sensitivity, please do not wear any fragrance to the training.
9. Although a specific PTI trainer may be listed as the trainer on the registration, we reserve the right to have any qualified Personal Transformation Institute Trainer instruct any part or all of the training at our discretion. The support material is free after the completion of the training. Your training fee covers the EMDR basic training. The website access is a free support that is offered and it is optional for both parties.
10. Clinicians presently engaged in personal therapy and/or psychiatric treatment should inform the therapist/psychiatrist about the experiential component of this training and secure the clinician’s permission to participate before beginning this training.
11. This experiential workshop is for clinical purposes only and will not qualify the participant to train others in EMDR. Attempts to train others in EMDR without meeting the standards as defined by the EMDR International Association would represent a professional ethics violation.
12. Those who presently have a dissociative disorder, acute or PTSD, GAD, panic disorder, substance use disorder, personality disorder, or affective disorder should not participate without special arrangements being made with the instructors at the time of registration. Failure to advise the instructors could place you at risk, negatively impact other participants, and result in dismissal from the training without refund. Participants who are disruptive to the training will be given one warning by the instructor and will be dismissed without refund if there is a recurrence. You are expected to maintain a spirit of cooperation and mutual support for all in the training. Splitting and conflict-generating behavior will not be tolerated. You agree that the instructor has the right to dismiss you from the training at any time without refund if in his/her sole judgment you negatively impact the training experience of others.
13. Those with limiting or special medical conditions (pregnancy, heart condition, ocular difficulties, etc.) should consult their medical professionals before participating in this training and should discuss the condition with the instructors in advance of the training.
14. Clinicians presently engaged in personal therapy and/or psychiatric treatment should inform the therapist/psychiatrist about the experiential component of this training
7. Assumption of the Risk
You understand and agree that your attendance at the Training and participation in activities of the training is completely voluntary. You understand that there may be some degree of risk or danger by participating in the training, including but not limited to slips, trips, or falls during the use of facilities or in connection with the Training. You agree that all suggested activities are voluntary. You certify that You are in good health and that You know of no physical, mental, health-related, or other reason why You would be incapable of participating in any activities during the Training.
8. Release and Waiver
You are voluntarily participating in the Training and have fully considered all risks. You, Your successors in interest, heirs, administrators and personal representative, hereby knowingly and voluntarily Waive, Release and Discharge PTI of any and all liability, claims, demands, actions or rights of action, damages of any kinds related to, arising from, or in any way connection with, the Training or your participation in the Training, consultations or other PTI sponsored programs. Such Waiver and Release does not apply to PTI’s willful misconduct or grossly negligent acts. To the extent liability for any claims is found, PTI’s aggregate liability for any claims will not exceed the amount paid by you to PTI. This limitation of liability will apply to the maximum extent permitted by applicable laws and notwithstanding the failure of any limited remedy. In no event will PTI have liability under this Agreement to You or any third party for any special, incidental, consequential, punitive or indirect damages of any kind based on any clime or legal theory, including but not limited to, lost profits, loss of use, or cost of substitute services.
ADA Policy – PTI does not discriminate on the basis of disability in its programs, services, activities and employment practices.
If you need auxiliary aids and services for effective communication or a reasonable modification in programs, services or activities contact the ADA Coordinator as soon as possible, preferably 21 days before the activity or event.
A grievance procedure is available to resolve complaints.
Upon request, this notice is available in alternative formats.
9. Governing Law
The laws of the state of Michigan, without giving effect to its principles of conflicts of law, govern all adversarial proceedings arising out of this agreement.
You, Your heirs, assigns and successors in interest, agree to indemnify and hold harmless PTI from and against any loss, damage, liability or cost (including all reasonable attorneys’ fees), including but not limited to bodily injury and property damage, whatsoever, that may occur as a result or arising out of Your presence or participation in the Training in any way or engaging in any sponsored event, activity, discussion, including but not limited to engaging on PTI’s website.
As the exclusive means of initiating adversarial proceedings to resolve any dispute arising out of this agreement, You, or PTI, may demand that the dispute be resolved by arbitration administered by the American Arbitration Association in accordance with its commercial arbitration rules, and each party hereby consents to any such dispute being so resolved, Judgment on any award rendered in any such arbitration may be entered in any court having jurisdiction.
a. That if any provision of this agreement is held to be unenforceable, then that provision will be modified to the minimum extent necessary to make it enforceable, unless that modification is not permitted by law, in which case that provision will be disregarded;
b. That if an unenforceable provision is modified or disregarded in accordance with this section, then the rest of the agreement will remain in effect as written; and
c. That any unenforceable provision will remain as written in any circumstances other than those in which the provision is held to be unenforceable.
1. Any notice from You made in relation to this Agreement must be both sent via electronic mail to ____________________ and in writing and deposited in the United States mail, postage prepaid, registered or certified mail or overnight mail, addressed and delivered to the other Party at the address set forth below:
Personal Transformation Institute 1205 Meadowbrook St. Ann Arbor, MI 48103
2. valid noted or other communication under this agreement will be effective when received by the party to which it is addressed. It will be deemed to have been received as follows:
- If it is delivered by hand, or delivery by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested and postage prepaid, upon receipt as indicated by the date on the signed receipt; and
- If the party to which it is address rejects or otherwise refuses to accept it, or if it cannot by delivered because of a change in address for which no notice was given, then it will be deemed to have been received upon that rejection, refusal, or inability to deliver.
- If a notice or other communication addressed to a party is received after 5:00pm on a business day at the location specified in the address for that party, on a day that is not a business day, then the notice will be deemed received at 9:00am on the next business day.
14. Scope of Agreement; Entire Agreement.
This Agreement constitutes the entire understanding between You and PTI with respect to all matters contained in this Agreement and supersedes all other agreement, whether written or oral, between the parties.